The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

200 Gourmet and Homestyle Recipes for the Food Allergic Family

allergy cookbook

Sunday, January 22, 2006

VINEGAR CHICKEN RECIPE

One of the great things about writing this cookbook is how many new people I've met through the process. The Food Allergy community is full of supportive and generous people. One of these great people I've met is Lauren Moynihan. Lauren is allergic to milk, soy, eggs, peanuts, salmon (but most other fish is ok), hot peppers, and corn. She's been sending me some of her favorite allergen free recipes. Two nights ago, I tried making her grandmother's recipe for Vinegar Chicken and it was really delicious. I made it with one 4 lb chicken cut into quarters. I used about 3 Tbsp Olive Oil. I used 4 large cloves garlic, and 1 heaping tsp. oregano. I used about 1 1/2 cups of vinegar total (3/4 cup balsamic, 3/4 cup cider vinegar), and about 3/4 cup water. I also threw in about 1/4 cup assorted olives (which I added in the last 15 minutes). I didn't have any mushrooms, or I would have used them, as I'm sure they are a great addition. Also, I cooked it about 45 minutes instead of the 30, turning the chicken once and basting frequently with the liquid. Anyway, THANKS Lauren! And thanks Lauren's grandmother! This one is a keeper!!!!

The following is excerpted from an email from Lauren Moynihan:

"this is my grandma's vinegar chicken recipe... it's my all time favorite food. most of the measurments, you do by how you like things, like if you like vinegar add more vinegar. also her measurments aren't by cups or anything... she goes by glasses.

clean chicken and dry it in a paper towel. we use thighs but i have heard that any kind of chicken tastes good with it cover the bottom of a wide pan with olive oil
brown the chicken on both sides in a single layer taking out the finished peices before adding more. after your done browning it, add all the chicken back in
chop up 4 or 5 cloves of garlic and throw it in the pan use about a teaspoon of oregano, sage, thyme, rosemary, or whatever other herbs you want to use
fill a juice glass with half apple cidar vinegar and half balsamic vinegar and add it to the pan add salt and pepper and mix it with a wooden spoon to cover all the chicken with the vinegar mixture add about a half a glass of water lower heat and cover cook for about a half hour add sliced mushrooms and olives at the end and cook for about 5 more minutes

if you have leftovers and put it in the refrigerater, the sauce becomes almost like a gel but if you heat it up again it turns back into sauce.
i hope you like it :)

1 Comments:

  • At 2:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    fish recipe salad tunahttp://www.fishtacorecipie.info The best argument against democracy is a five minute chat with an average voter "Winston Churchill"fish recipe salad tuna

     

Post a Comment

<< Home