The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

200 Gourmet and Homestyle Recipes for the Food Allergic Family

allergy cookbook

Sunday, August 20, 2006




QUESAPIZZA

Tonight we were down to the bare bones in my kitchen, but dinner still had to be made, so I came up with an almost completely allergen-free kid-friendly hybrid, the "Quesapizza". This quesapizza is a combination of a quesadilla and a pizza, and it was so good, even my son Lennon who has a peckish appetite ate all of his.

It is allergen-free, except for the soy cheese

(so sorry if you're soy allergic, but if so, you can just omit the cheese part). I use Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet Cheese Alternative in chedder flavor. It is the only Dairy-Free cheese my kids really like, and since Lennon outgrew his soy allergy, I allow it.

I'm not going to give proportions to the following as it's really a "by feel" kind of recipe, dependant on what you have in the fridge, and how many people you're feeding.

To make a quesapizza, use rice tortilla shells (I used Food for Life, brown rice tortillas). Put tortillas on a baking sheet. Spoon out some jarred marinara sauce, leaving about 1/2 inch uncovered around edges (so little fingers can hold it). Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Saute some thinly sliced onions in a little olive oil over medium heat till softened. Add sliced mushrooms, and suate till softened a bit too. Throw a few baby spinach leaves on top of tortilla, top with onions and mushrooms, and add a few slices of nitrite-free salami (tastes like pepperoni, available at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods). Top with shredded or thinly sliced soy cheese. (these ingredients are just what I had in my house. Feel free to alter as you see fit, but be sure to saute your heartier veggies a bit as this quesapizza only cooks 10 minutes in the oven). And not to be redundant, but... put in oven and cook 10 minutes. Remove and cut into quarters, and eat like a pizza, or fold over and cut in half, to eat like a quesadilla (the less messy way to eat it). Here are my boys, Lennon and Monte after their feeding frenzy. Stupidly, I gave them their bath right before dinner.



Enjoy!

13 Comments:

  • At 10:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This sounds good; and your boys are absolutely adorable!

     
  • At 12:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Quespizza looks really good, I cant wait to try it out. Your boys are really cute!

    PS: Thanks for the advice for my little brother in the comments for your last post.

     
  • At 12:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Sounds & looks delicious! Your sons are just plain adorable!

     
  • At 4:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mmmm looks like a delicious meal for my husband and myself, though I'm fairly sure it would be impossible to convince my three year old (and even my nine year old!) to put both onions and mushrooms in her mouth! I'm excited to try this recipe with just the sauce, cheese and salami though!

    I'm always on the look out for new and innovative allergy conscious recipes and I just happened to stumble upon your site last week through a google search. I'm looking forward to scrolling through your archives and seeing what else you have to offer.

     
  • At 12:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It looks really good


    Your kids are so cute!!!

     
  • At 12:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That sounds excellent! Every time I bathe kids before dinner, they seem to end up even messier than they were before. The pics are adorable!

     
  • At 6:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    the pizza looks delicious! i'm not a big pizza fan its always just too greesie ( esp from places that deliver) but i love quesadillas. And the boys look super cute.

    Now i'm not a potato chip fan ( i think i'm just anti greese) but have you guys tried the apple and pear chips? I pick them up from my local health food store all the time and there great.

     
  • At 12:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Awesome! That looks and sounds delicious!

    Adorable pictures of your boys!!!

     
  • At 3:07 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Hi,

    Cybele (and everyone :), I asked around about food allergies while I was in Canada. One person directed me to a website about Sabrina Shannon and I found it very powerful.

    I encourage everyone to check it out (with tissues, especially if you have a child). Go to: http://www.cbc.ca/outfront/webfeatures/sabrina/sab_shell.html

    I hope it's OK with you, Cybele, that I posted an address here...

    Nancy

     
  • At 3:11 PM, Blogger Nancy said…

    Well, that's just mean of "Blogger"...

    here's the rest, see if this works...

    webfeatures/sabrina/sab_shell.html


    And the quesapizzas look yummy, by the way!!

    Nancy

     
  • At 8:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    OH MY WORD!!! Sabrina is such an inspiration.

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    wow...that looks so good!

     
  • At 10:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i making my mom get your book. and your sons are ADORABLE!!!!!!!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home