The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

200 Gourmet and Homestyle Recipes for the Food Allergic Family

allergy cookbook

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Dairy free, Gluten free, Egg free, Allergen free Chocolate Fudge Frosting

Hi:

With Valentine's Day around the corner, I thought this recipe might come in handy.
For anyone who missed the issue of Living Without that ran my chocolate article, here is my newest chocolate frosting recipe. It's much simpler than the one in my book. It's great on cupcakes, cake, cookies, brownies... you name it. Enjoy!

Chocolate Fudge Frosting
1 (10-ounce) package Enjoy Life Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
1/2 cup dairy-free, soy-free vegetable shortening*
1/8 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon gluten-free vanilla extract

1. Combine chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave-safe bowl.
2. Heat in microwave in 30-second increments, stirring each time until completely melted.
3. Stir in salt and vanilla extract.
4. Thoroughly whip frosting with electric mixer until it is thick and fluffy. To speed this process, place mixing bowl in a larger bowl of ice water; cooling helps set the frosting. You can also put the frosting in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes, remove and then beat.
5. Frost cupcakes or cake and enjoy.

* Tip: Try Spectrum Naturals Organic Vegetable Shortening. It is dairy free and soy free and is manufactured in a peanut-free, tree nut-free facility. As always, check with the manufacturer if you have questions or concerns.

6 Comments:

  • At 5:22 AM, Blogger Lynn Barry said…

    I am excited. I had so far not found a recipe that is suitable for free2eat me. Thanks. I linked you at my blog. I found you via ENJOY LIFE FOODS. Thanks again.:)

     
  • At 5:24 AM, Blogger Lynn Barry said…

    I meant to write that I had not found a FROSTING recipe so far, but I was so excited and typed so fast I made it sound like I never found any recipe...off to bake a cake and then be able to frost it! YEAH!:)

     
  • At 8:37 AM, Blogger Lynn Barry said…

    I made it and love it! Thanks again.

     
  • At 4:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi I have had a gastric bypass and what could i use for the chips. I like many of your recipies and I was wondering if you make anythng for people that can not have sugar and low carb. Even natural sugar in fruit can cause a problem to gastric people. Thank you

     
  • At 7:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Cybele

    A question for you: At one point my pediatrician had mentioned no chocolate for my daughter until she is two. This was before Amelia had her food allergy diagnosis. Is that because chocolate can contain peanuts/tree nuts or is there another reason? I'll ask the dr. when I see her next week for our 15 month checkup but just curious to know if you knew the reason.

    PS Hey, we made your peach pancakes this weekend (amazing!), Greek chicken (yummy), and basic biscuits (tasty, but came out flat. I wonder if I handled the dough too much. Either way, tasty anyway). Of course Amelia wouldn't take a bite of any of them, argh, but hey, we're still having fun and at least don't have to feel that our kitchen is a minefield of her allergens while we're cooking and she is playing.

    Andrea

     
  • At 4:14 PM, Blogger ByTheBay said…

    Sounds just lovely...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home