The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

200 Gourmet and Homestyle Recipes for the Food Allergic Family

allergy cookbook

Saturday, September 01, 2007





Pamela's Products -- The Gift That Kept on Giving
Wheat-free, Gluten-free, and Allergen-free Baking Mixes

Several months ago, I agreed to test out some of Pamela's baking mixes and new packaged goods. When I took on the challenge, little did I know I'd be asked to do a holiday cookie article for Living Without (5 new GF Allergen-Free cookie recipes coming your way this November!!) and a huge Harvest package for Lime (9 new Harvest recipes from across the country, scheduled for October). Suffice it to say that July and August got eaten up by my own recipe creations (baking holiday cookies in LA in July is crazy). So I'm finally back on track.

What's so great about Pamela's Products? Like Sandra Lee's, they're semi-homemade. So even if you're not a wiz in the kitchen, you can bake your child a home-made birthday cake, or a loaf of sweet-smellin' bread. Additionally, Pamela's products gives various options for preparing their mixes. You can make them completely allergen-free, or tailor them to your diet, using butter or eggs as appropriate. I prepared all of the mixes using the completely allergen-free instructions; egg replacer for eggs, canola oil, dairy-free soy-free vegetable shortening, and water.

Let me start with their star product.

CHOCOLATE CAKE MIX

Described on the package as "Rich, Dark, Moist, Decadent Cake", it lived up to its reputation. Unlike so many GF cake mixes, this cake had no bitter after-taste, no grittiness, wasn't too sweet, and stayed moist and delicious for literally A WEEK!!! I added chocolate chips, make it into little cupcakes, and also baked it into cakes. In every form, it stayed fresh well beyond my expectations. It was truly THE GIFT THAT KEPT ON GIVING. I liked it so much better than Cherrybrook Kitchen's Cake mix. I will buy this often.

CHOCOLATE CHUNK COOKIE MIX

Loved the chocolate chunks. Loved the simplicity. Great for kids to help with. Not sold on the texture. I found them a little too gritty/grainy, and they were too sweet for my taste. But my kids were happy, and ultimately, that's who they're for anyway.

WHEAT-FREE BREAD MIX

Yummm, who doesn't love the aroma of fresh baked bread? This bread was yeasty and old-fashioned. I don't have a bread machine, so I used my trusty Kitchen Aid mixer with the bread hook. Baking it made my kitchen smell great, and I couldn't wait to pull it out of the oven, slice it up and eat it warm with some Earth Balance Soy Garden natural "buttery" spread. So delicious. This bread is very close to a loaf of "normal" white bread. Perhaps a little yeastier than most (which I happen to like). To keep it moist, it's pretty dense. But I prefer that to the light and crumbly GF breads you get prepackaged. This bread also stayed fresh and toasted well for several days.

CHOCOLATE BROWNIE MIX

Though Pamela's didn't send me their brownie mix to test, I decided to try it anyway. I baked it in my mother's oven on Cape Cod, which keeps a dubious temperature, but even so, it took twice the allotted time to bake. After 40 minutes, it still hadn't set in the center. Maybe it really needs the eggs after all. And like the cookies, I found the brownies a little gritty, and too sweet. And like the cookies, I loved the chocolate chunks. However, put chocolate chunks in a sponge, and I might eat it.

Overall? These products are simple to prepare, affordable, easily tailored to the individual bakers' dietary needs, and generally pretty tasty. I still like Pamela's prepackaged cookies better than the cookie mix, but for the sake of novelty, it's great to have the semi-homemade option, so children can help bake.

Last but not least, Pamela's sent me their Biscotti. These biscotti are GF, but not Allergen-free. Please NOTE THAT THEY CONTAIN MILK, EGGS, and TREE NUTS.

CHOCOLATE WALNUT BISCOTTI

I couldn't sample these because I'm allergic to walnuts, but my friend Michelle and her son Enzo tried them for me, and were very happy, and they're Italian (so should know their biscotti!)

ALMOND ANISE BISCOTTI

Delicious! Dunked it in my coffee, kept them in the car for snack attacks, LOVED them. These biscotti are indistinguishable from traditional biscotti made with gluten. Not too sweet, great texture, a real keeper. The only downside is that they haven't come up with one that's tree-nut free yet. Pamela's? How about it?

17 Comments:

  • At 9:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Loving the sound of the chocolate cake mix and the biscotti! I absorbed the info. about gluten you gave me earlier and knowing about treats like this is really helpful to me. As soon as is feasible, I'm going to buy some to try. Sold! hehehe

    Thank you so much for the information,
    Warm Wishes,
    ~Joanna

     
  • At 9:59 AM, Blogger Robin said…

    Welcome back Cybele, thanks for all the hard work,(baking in the summer!) I'm looking forward to those new recipes! I had to laugh out loud when I read the "chocolate chunks in a sponge" line because I feel that way about chocolate too. :) Take care, Robin

     
  • At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I must admit, I'm very jealous of your turquoise Kitchen Aid mixer! I've never seen one that color before...maybe I'll put that on my Christmas/Birthday list this year.

     
  • At 4:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    i cant wait to try the bread mix!

     
  • At 1:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great post on Pamela's Products. I will pass on this info to all our customers who are looking for good tasting products. Good job Pamela!!!

     
  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The bread looks yummy!

    Have you received any word if you're going to have a Food Network show?

     
  • At 10:06 AM, Blogger Truth said…

    Cybele, About 8 years ago I developed a allergy to fragrances. I was surprised to find that they are also in food and drink not just stuff that smell. I have cut out all the things with a snell such as clothes soap lotions etc, but still at any given time have a rash some where on my body. Depending wich mast cells are scting up or something like that. Have you ever done research on fragrances in food and allergies? Let me know. Thanks Genalee Hoxmeier

     
  • At 9:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    since halloween is coming up soon, i thought you might like to se these:
    http://www.cafepress.com/bjortandcompany/3700351

     
  • At 7:07 PM, Blogger Holly said…

    Hello, Ms. Pascal!
    I was just looking over your blog- your recipes look DELICIOUS! While I believe I do have food allergies, (Going to be tested soon), I was just wondering if your recipes were also low-cal. I am currently on the program Jenny Craig, and I was wondering which of your recipes you would reccomend to someone on a low cal diet. I know your recipes are more geared for people with food allergies- but what about those of us with food allergies AND diets?? Thanks soo much- again I LOVE THE BLOG!
    -Holly

     
  • At 11:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    you have been tagged... details on my blog (dont worry, it's a good thing)

     
  • At 1:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Update?

     
  • At 9:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    FYI - You have a picture at the bottom of your post that isn't showing up. It looks like it wasn't properly uploaded to the internet. Hope this helps.

     
  • At 10:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Whatever happened to this blog? Do you still plan to update? I miss the food tidbits. It was always such a nice and friendly forum.

     
  • At 9:40 AM, Blogger Cybele Pascal said…

    Hi Folks:

    I know you want regular updates, but twice a month is all I can really do right now, unless you just want my senseless musings (that would be interesting, maybe I'll give you a taste and you can tell me how it works for you!) I have been a single parent for the past 3 months (Husband's still in NY), plus I work... I don't know how some bloggers post daily or weekly, I just don't have the time (and between us, I don't think most of them have small children). But I am still here, so don't disappear completely!

    Has anyone tried any of these products? Just curious? Madeline, no word on the food network. Not a peep, actually. I think I'll have to do my own cable access show like the Post Punk Kitchen did.

    Dear Genalee:

    No I haven't done any research on fragrance allergies, and their connection to food allergies. I do know people with fragrance allergies, and is difficult. I feel for you! Candles, soap, other people's perfume, other people's shampoo are all triggers. I am sorry you have to live with that. But I don't believe there's a relationship specifically to food allergies. However, any allergic individual is more likely to have all sorts of allergies, across the board. So if you have suspicions about a particular food, you should probably get tested.

    Lauren:

    Thanks for adding the links!!

    Holly:

    My recipes weren't written to be "fat-free", but many are low fat. Because the baked goods are vegan, they don't use the traditional fat ingredients like eggs and butter, they are much lower in fat than most baked goods. Also, I don't use other fattening ingredients like cheese, mayo, sour cream, etc. My food is also high fiber, and thus good for dieting if you want to feel full on fewer calories. So yes, many of my recipes are low fat. However, avoid the lamb, pork and dishes made with sausage. Good luck on your diet!!!

    Anonymous:

    Re: the picture at the bottom, I can see it clearly. Does anyone else have problems viewing the biscotti picture? If so, could it be your browser? Sometimes when I view my blog in firefox, pictures disappear temporarily, but they are still visible in Safari.

    Now I'm off to post a new recipe.

     
  • At 8:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I agree with you about the grittiness of the Cherry Brook Kitchen cake mix. I made that last year for my daugter's birthday and was not impressed. Most the kids ate it though and my daughter was the only Celiac! I made one chocolate cake mix that was awesome! It compares in taste and consistancy to Betty Crockers, Duncan Hines and Pillsbury. I unfortunately can't remember the brand.

    Love the GF info. Keep it coming.
    Nomi

     

Post a Comment

<< Home