The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

200 Gourmet and Homestyle Recipes for the Food Allergic Family

allergy cookbook

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Dear Friends:

I have been horribly remiss in updating this blog. I've been traveling, promoting the book, and last week, was at EXPO West, a huge natural products expo in Anaheim, CA, where allergen-free, and gluten-free is truly all the rage. Look for some really exciting products at your local health food stores in the next few months: Soy Whipped Cream (for those who can't eat dairy but can eat soy), Good Karma Rice Milk Ice Cream in flavors like Carrot Cake, with chunks of Carrot Cake, that rocked my socks off, and thankfully was nut-free too! Ener-G is coming out with a new bread called Seattle Brown Bread, which is gluten-free, allergen-free, and actually edible, unlike many of their other bread products. I really like this new bread and would eat it on a daily basis. It's made with some highly nutritive ancient native american grain, that they bought the entire crop of this year, so only they will be making bread with it. There are lots of new gluten-free and allergen free cookies on the market as well, some that use agave as a sweetener, which also has the added benefit of being low on the glycemic index, and thus good for diabetics.

Other updates:

Martha Stewart tapes April 13th and airs April 20th. They have switched the dates on me repeatedly, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed I actually make it to the finish line.

New fun recipe idea:

Melt Enjoy Life Dairy-free/Soy-free Chocolate Chips in a heavy saucepan over very low heat, stirring constantly. Once melted, dip Ener-G allergen-free gluten free Wylde Pretzels in and swirl, pulling out individually with a fork. Lay out on wax paper on a cookie try. Once finished, refridgerate for a couple of hours. Soooooo yummy. Also, try with Gorilla Munch cereal or raisins. The kids will LOVE this one.

Please come back! I promise not to go so long without writing again.

be well.
cybele

6 Comments:

  • At 8:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thanks for taking the time out to update, especially since you're so busy.The pretzels recipe sounds delicious, I'll definetely have to try it.

    I'm really looking forward to watching Martha Stewart, do you know what time it will be on?

     
  • At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great update. Sadly I've been looking for a lot of the stuff you've mentioned and can't find it. We don't have a "local health food" store. So I'll need to travel. But it will be worth it. Especially for the pretzels I've been craving them since you first mentioned them. Now I just need to find the post where you made, I believe it was pumpkinseed butter? Or am I mistaken? [Picky eating/part vegitarian and allergies aren't the best with being able to find good food so I'm glad I found your blog. Now just waiting for my next check to come in to get your cook book.]

     
  • At 8:49 PM, Blogger Cybele Pascal said…

    d.katherine:

    you can order most of these things online. I'm sure you can have the pretzels sent to you. where do you live? and yes, i have a recipe for pumpkin seed butter in the archives. meanwhile, do you have a trader joe's near you? they sell sunflower butter, that's super yummy.

     
  • At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    d. katherine - you should check out the website - www.missroben.com - they have THE BEST PRETZELS, completely allergen-free, Wyldes, and TONS of other great products...

     
  • At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh, good! A pretzel recipie! Looks delish! I am, being a picky eater, and vegitarian, very glad that you have your cookbook and this blog with great recipies!
    I've only recently come across this blog, and have some other comments for you. Your kids are super adorable!
    I'm ver happy for you and the whole Martha Stewart thing-a-majig, hope it works out.

    All the best to you and Adam,
    Eugie

     
  • At 3:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I haven't been able to check online for any of the allergy free foods yet. I just got back from NY and jumped right back into working full time. Which is going since NY cleaned my account, so needless to say I've still yet to purchase your book.
    But I live in Florida, and as far as I'm aware there's no Trader Joe's near me.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home