The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

200 Gourmet and Homestyle Recipes for the Food Allergic Family

allergy cookbook

Sunday, April 23, 2006

Hi to everyone who visited this blog after the Martha Stewart show. I was going to respond to the comments one by one, but there are so many of you, I'm going to roll it into one big post. If I leave anything out, feel free to comment, or email me and I'll get back to you.

First of all, thank you so much for all the support and the sweet comments about my boys!!!! They had fun on the show, and I'm glad people enjoyed watching them.

Re: Gluten, yes I use a lot of barley and oat flour. I've found it's the best combo for baking. Barley does contain gluten. Oat is supposedly gluten-free or low gluten, but is usually processed in the same facilities with other gluten products, and thus must be labeled as containing gluten due to cross contamination. I have not excluded gluten from my cookbook, because it is not considered one of the top 8 food allergens, as identified by the FDA. However, since writing the book, I have realized there's a growing need for gluten-free recipes. I have every intention of coming up with a gluten-free flour mix that can be used in my baking recipes. Please check back for that in the near future.

Yes, these recipes are great for vegans! All baked goods are vegan.

To the person at Trader Joe's, the book is available on Amazon, at Borders, Barnes & Noble, many Whole Foods, and many small health food stores, and smaller booksellers. Please, pass along the word to your customers with food allergies! I love Trader Joe's and shop there all the time.


Eczema is almost always from some kind of allergy, but it doesn't have to be a food allergy (tho in my opinion, it usually is). Shellfish gives me eczema, along with a whole lot of other symptoms. I've heard dairy and eggs are big culprits. To the woman whose husband has eczema, i wish you luck! Do you intend to start cooking an allergen-free diet? If I were you, I'd try to cut out the top 8 food allergens for a few weeks, and see if his skin improves. Please keep me posted on how it's going with that. Eczema really is so unpleasant, and I hope he finds his culprit.

And hopefully, I will have some kind of cooking show in the future. It's in the works. And part of the reason I'm so behind in getting back to you all is that I taped a special for the Food Network last week. It's called "Edible Enemies" and is a one-hour special about food allergies. I'll keep people posted about when that will air, though it may not be until 2007.

Again, THANK YOU for watching, and supporting, and your interest!

Check back soon for new recipes and updates. I'm moving to California on tuesday. Perhaps I'll have new recipe inspiration out on the west coast. The produce there is incredible! And if there's one thing i love, it's fresh produce.

be well!

Cybele

16 Comments:

  • At 8:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cybele, thanks so much for your comments back via the blog! I also appreciate the good wishes re: working with my husband's diet (he's the foodie who also has eczema). I agree with you that food can certainly trigger as well as treat many physical conditions, and it's usually one of the best places to start with any "chronic" physical symptoms.

    All the best to you & your family as you make the big move to CA. We'll look forward to seeing you-- hopefully frequently!-- on the Food Network! ;~)

    Warmly,
    Kim

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cybele, you were amazing on Martha and your boys are the cutest things.

    I also hope your move to California is a safe one.

     
  • At 2:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    have a safe and happy move! i wish you and your family all the luck & success in the world!

     
  • At 3:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I saw the Martha segment (your boys are adorable, btw), and thought you did a really good job! I was especially glad to see a cookbook out there for people with food allergies because I have a young cousin CJ (coincidentally, also 4 1/2) with severe peanut, treenut, and dairy allergies.

    Good luck on your move to CA.

     
  • At 4:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cybele, I very much enjoyed watching your segment on Martha! Your recipies are wonderful, they are easy and taste great!! As a sufferer of wheat and soy allergies, there was a lot I was sure I could never eat but your recipies are great! I can't say enough about your book =)

    I am also a HUGE fan of your husbands voice, and I am devestated that he will be on the other side of the country! I hope Adam does not abandom his NYC fans and your family will be back on the East Coast a lot =) You have such a lovely, lovely family I wish you and Adam all the luck in the world with those precious boys of yours. They look exactly like their daddy =) Thanks again for creating this book, and take care!

     
  • At 6:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good luck with everything, you're very talented! Congrats on the Martha appearance.

    ~sarah

     
  • At 8:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cybele,

    I saw you on Martha, as well. You have a great on-screen personality and would do very well with your own tv show. Good luck with that!

    Also, I hope everything goes well with your move to California.

    -- Jenny (22, Kentucky)

     
  • At 9:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My mother and i (we own the cake shop/ bakery) went and ordered your book today so we can get some more great recipes for our customers that have food allergies. Good luck with the move to California be safe.
    Amy

     
  • At 6:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I hope the Pascals aren't allergic to NY and return soon. Best of luck on the WC.

     
  • At 1:05 PM, Blogger Kate said…

    Good luck in California. Your boys were adorable on Martha. I hope that your sons find better, more supportive teachers on the west coast. Again Best of Luck.

     
  • At 4:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cybele,

    I think it is wonderful that you are helping people out there with food allergies. I am 28 and both my mother and myself have food allergies. I am excited about your book and just ordered it from Amazon.

    Welcome to California. I hope you will let us know if you do any apperances in the Los Angeles area. I would love to meet you someday and thank you in person for making more people aware of food allegies.

     
  • At 5:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The Martha segment is on youtube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmDtk6VjKnI

     
  • At 8:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hello Cybele,

    I was watching you on Martha Stewart and I was absolutely elated. Ever since I was seven years old I have had severe allergies, and knowing that there is a real cookbook out there for those of us who have allergies was amazing. I was just wondering if as a child you personally experienced food allergies that you have outgrown and if you have contracted any new allergies after pregnancy? I personally did and was just wondering if you knew if this had anything to do with age?

    Thank you so much,

    Alana Christine

     
  • At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    HEY! I was one of the girls to be filmed for that special, I believe... If part of the "Edible Enemies" was filmed at Wesleyan University... I would LOOOOVEEE LOVE LOVE to know when that airs! I don't have any information about that. e-mail me... bexlizard[at]aol[dot]com. THANKS!

     
  • At 7:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cybele,
    I enjoyed your segment on Martha Stewart so much, and both of your boys are too adorable! My grandmom is obessed with your book, because 4 of her 9 grandchildren have dairy allergies. (luckily not me, but I know how my cousins feel.) The book comes in handy for our sunday dinners at her house. It was cool to see it on Martha. I hope your move to Califorina is going well. Thanks again.

     
  • At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow! I never knew there was so much great information out there.

    Love what you did with this place. Keep up the awesome job. It's waycool.
    Have a good one!
    Victor

    http://www.victorshangout.info
    Vics Hangout

     

Post a Comment

<< Home