The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

200 Gourmet and Homestyle Recipes for the Food Allergic Family

allergy cookbook

Tuesday, April 11, 2006

NEW RECIPE:

ALLERGEN-FREE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES

I made this one up using ingredients from my two new sponsors, Spectrum and Enjoy Life. They are sooo yummy!!!!

1 cup Spectrum Naturals Organic Vegetable Shortening
1 3/4 cups date sugar or beet sugar or a mixture (I used 1 1/2 cups date sugar with 1/4 cup beet sugar because date sugar is more nutritious and not too sweet -- All date sugar would be great as well)
1 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer mixed with 1/4 cup rice milk
2 Tbsp. rice milk
pinch salt
1 cup oat flour
1 cup barley flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 cup Enjoy Life dairy-free/soy-free chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 375. In an electric mixer, or a large bowl, cream sugar with shortening. Add vanilla extract, Egg Replacer, and rice milk. Combine flours, salt and baking soda. Add to bowl. Combine completely. Then fold in chips. Drop by heaping tablespoons onto greased cookie sheet. You may want to flatten them a bit into round cookie shape. Cook 11 minutes. Transfer to cooling rack and let cool before eating. Serve with a chilled glass of vanilla rice milk. Makes about 2 dozen. Yummy!

8 Comments:

  • At 8:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I was really excited about the Allergen-Free Recipe for chocolate chip cookies (as seen on Martha Stewart) by Cybele Pascal, until I saw that she used Ener-G Egg Replacer, which states that it is produced on the same line as tree nuts. What are you supposed to do if your child is deathly allergic to tree nuts?

     
  • At 10:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    If your child isn't allergic to dairy, could you substitute other milk in the recipe? What about wheat flour in the absence of wheat allergy? Thanks so much for giving those of us with children with allergies some alternatives!

     
  • At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Being a celiac, with an allergy to gluten (wheat, barley, rye and oats), this is not a safe recipe. I was excited when I saw Martha was going to feature an allergen free recipe. I feel that my allergy is not addressed and that I no longer can eat many foods I once enjoyed.

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My daughter has a life threatening soy allergy and I have not been able to find chocolate chips for her! I am sooo thankful that I caught the Martha Stewart Show today. Also, I always love to see food allergies addressed on "hit" tv shows. We need to raise awareness and this is the perfect way to do it!!!

     
  • At 6:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I think the person with celiac disease is looking in the wrong place for help, in that your condition is not an allergy but an autoimmune disease. Here's a website that should be helpful: http://www.celiac.org/

     
  • At 1:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Does Adam like the cookies?

     
  • At 10:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Would you make them if he did? Grow up.

     
  • At 1:56 PM, Blogger Cybele Pascal said…

    To anonymous re: adding back in dairy, yes, if you child isn't allergic to dairy, you can use that (or any other type of "milk" you like). And you can also substitute 1 cup of wheat flour for any 1 cup of alternate flour.

    To anyone who has celiac disease, of other forms of gluten sensitivity, I'm truly sorry if my book is not helpful to you, but I wrote this cookbook to address the top 8 food allergens as identified by the FDA. Though celiac involves your immune system, it's a different kind of immune system response than the what happens with food allergies, where one's body makes antibodies against a particular food, which causes the release of masses of chemicals, the most obvious one being histamine. Thank you to whomever you are who provided the link to http://www.celiac.org/
    I hope it is helpful.


    to anonymous re: Ener-G Egg Replacer, I believe I answered you via email? If you're not the same person, please let me know (email me, if you like at allergycookbook@gmail.com) and we can discuss.

    Thanks!

    all the best,

    Cybele

     

Post a Comment

<< Home