The Whole Foods Allergy Cookbook

200 Gourmet and Homestyle Recipes for the Food Allergic Family

allergy cookbook

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

Hi:

Just a brief update.... I'm settling in here in LA, but my 1950's O'Keefe and Merritt oven is broken, so I haven't had a chance to test any new recipes, yet. I promise I will soon, though. I'm very inspired by the Mexican food here. I think I'll be creating some new dishes around the Mexican theme. You can do so much with soft tacos.

My sister-in-law Thanya just sent me a menu from a restuarant in Berkeley, CA. It's called Socca Oven. Soccas are little French pizzas, and the dough is made from chick peas, a great alternative to wheat. Everything at Socca Oven is gluten, wheat, dairy, yeast, and sugar free. Sounds like my kind of place! I'm going to plan a trip to the Bay Area to visit my brother and sister-in-law just so I can go eat at Socca Oven. Their website is www.soccaoven.com if anyone is interested in finding them too.

I tried the Cherrybrook Kitchen Original Pancake Mix this morning. It's diary-free, egg-free, soy-free, peanut-free, tree nut-free, and of course free of fish and shellfish. It does have wheat, however. It was pretty good. I added some sliced strawberries. My only complaint was that they really stuck to my non-stick skillet, even though I used canola oil too. But the kids liked them, and they're great for when you're short on time (or still unpacking a house full of boxes, like me!). I'm going to try all their mixes, so I'll keep posting as I do so.

For anyone who missed the Martha Stewart segment I did on April 20th, it's on youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmDtk6VjKnI

Hope everyone who reads this is well. I keep hearing it's a really bad allergy season, so for those of you out there with seasonal allergies as well as food allergies, I'm thinking of you, and hope you're not too itchy and sneezy.

all the best,

Cybele

7 Comments:

  • At 8:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Cybele!

    Welcome to LA and California!

    Glad that the move went ok!

    Thanks for the tip about the restaurant!

     
  • At 8:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Cybele,

    I am wondering if you know of any corrolation between allergies and weight loss. I have had weight mgmt. issues my whole life and am in the process of exploring ways to permanently get a handle on my situation. Your recipes sound wonderful and nutritious...how are they for calories and fat content? I love to cook, and am looking for a way to incorporate creative, gourmet cooking with healthy, lowfat recipes.

    Welcome to CA, by the way. I am a 6th generation Californian,(we live in the Santa Cruz Mts., which is about an hour south of San Francisco) and am sure you will love it here as much as I do!

    Warmly,

    Heidi

     
  • At 9:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey Cybele,
    I hope everything is going well in California. I came home from college yesterday and my mother and i made the corn chowder thats in your cook book and let me just say it was amazing. I brought plenty of left overs back to my apartment.

    And i have never had seasonal allergies as bad as i have had them this year. My eyes are burning and on top of that i've had constant nose bleeds. I've been to the doctors and all they said was that i had to weight it out so i'm trying to eat healthier things to maybe help a little.

    But anywas the book is amazing. God bless.

    Amy

     
  • At 9:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Cybele,

    I really hope you enjoy living here in LA.

    I was just reading the new Reader's Digest (June 2006) and there is an article about food allergies. It's on page 138 and it is hard to read, but hopefully it will help more people understand how serious these allergies could be.

    Cybele, I actually just found your blog a few weeks ago and I was reading some of your old posts. I was sad to learn what you went through with some of your son's teachers. It's sad that a lot of teachers are not educated about food allergies. I think they should be. I do hope things are better for your son this year.

     
  • At 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hey nice site. I was able to finish my project. Thank you so much #xj 2100 ionic air purifier#

     
  • At 9:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So I'm the Renthead who loves to bake, watches Martha regularly, and was shocked to see Adam in the audience!!!

    Anyway, I tried your recipe for the Maple Sugar Cookies and they turned out well! This was my first experience baking "allergy-free" cookies, and it was kind of fun trying to track down all of the interesting ingredients!! I served the cookies at a recent staff meeting and all of the other teachers really enjoyed them. (And of course I told the teachers all about your book.)

    Thanks for the recipe!! I hope you and your family are enjoying California!

    -Crystal

     
  • At 4:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love this blog because I plan to become a kindergarten teacher one day (far into the future as I'm only 17 now) and I figured learning about these allergies might help me when bringing in snacks for snacktime.

    I'm so glad you had the youtube address because I was kicking myself for missing you on Martha's show. Your boys are absolutely adorable and my Rent-lovin' heart fluttered whenI saw Adam in the audience. It's so sweet he was there to support you.

    Mucho love and happiness,
    Bethy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home